Tuesday 6 July 2010

TuNesday: K'naan

OK, I'll admit it: I'm enjoying watching the World Cup. Or, as one newspaper over here smugly put it (in a sarcastic attempt to Americanise it): The World Series of Soccerball. Yes, we Americans do tend to excel more in sports we invented and, to be fair, the sports we've invented really only appeal to us and a handful of places we've been. But the same could be said of Soccer - and the British can't even claim to be very good at that any more.

One of the things I've enjoyed most about this year's tournament has been the 'offiicial' theme song: Wavin' Flag, by K'naan. Of course it's cheesey, and of course it's a bit Coca-Cola corporate rah-rah, but for some reason lines like 'let's rejoice in the beautiful game' makes the hairs on the back of my neck stand up. Maybe it's the beat behind it... a steady, resonant 'thump' that moves in and out of focus. Maybe it's the superficial simplicity of the song - it evokes the simplicity of the game, really, and the almost universal appeal of the competition. But I think it goes more deeply than that. The version released for the World Cup is a little disappointing... the message of K'nann's original song have been watered down significantly. The original song is strong - it speaks of war, and struggle, and the ability of the human spirit to overcome extreme adversity. That song is about so much more than football, (or Coca-Cola), but probably wouldn't have made a very good theme song. What's left is still moving, though, and to my ears the beat and more optimistic (marketable) lyrics are just about enough.

I'm still not convinced that I'm a lifelong fan of Soccerball, but at the very least, this summer, I've enjoyed myself. And I turn up 'Wavin' Flag' every time it comes on.

FYI, K'naan has done other stuff, too. Born into a war-torn Somalia, he's known for his fusion style and politically-charged lyrics and has been quoted as someone who avoids associations with 'gangsta rap'. He's collaborated with Keane, Bryan Adams and Mos Def, and is currently on tour supporting Lenny Kravitz. All in, well-worth a listen long after the final whistle.



1 comment:

  1. I too have really enjoyed the whole worldly flare of the cup. I hadn't heard of K'naan, and I enjoyed the song, thanks.

    ReplyDelete