Tuesday 13 July 2010

TuNesday: Bombay Bicycle Club

I used to tell people that I didn't have a 'type' of anything. Maybe it was my attempt to be universally tolerant, or avant-garde, or maybe even it was a good way not to piss anyone off. Food...? Mexican, Italian, Chinese, French, whatever. And music... country, folk, rock, classical - I 'loved' it all. Turns out, I was only part right. Turns out that what I'll accept, and what I'd recommend are two totally different things. Turns out that what I'll settle for and what I'll seek out vary considerably. I haven't listened to a country song since I left Pullman. And music? Well, this is the third 'TuNesday' I've written and it's the third folky song I've picked. So I'm beginning to think that I have some types, and this is one of them.

I emplore you to check out 'Bombay Bicycle Club'. Their new single 'Ivy and Gold' has that same kind of simple,  honest resonance that strikes me in the likes of Mumford and Sons, Jason Mrantz and even a hint of Simon and Garfunkel in their day. Have a listen here:


Before this, I enjoyed 'Always like this' and 'Magnet' and have been impressed by their live performances on the summer festival scene. I had to admit, though...previous releases like 'Evening/Morning' and 'Dust on the Ground' haven't grabbed me as immediately like this one, but I hear foundations of a sound I think I'll like a bit more as I listen a bit more.

No comments:

Post a Comment