Wednesday 30 June 2010

Wecipe Wednesday: Fish n' Chips

Step #2 in my 'build a better blog' project: themed entries. Or, this case, themed entrees. I'm deciding that every Wednesday, I'll feature a recipe that I've tried the previous week. I do all of the shopping and cooking for the adults of the family, so what I make is really up to me. There are only a few no-no's:

  1. In general, it can't be spicy. The Wife doesn't do spicy; even black pepper is pushing it. This will explain the relative wussiness of some of my choices. It will also explain my habit of attacking my innards when I'm left alone in for a weekend. From 0-16,000,000 on the Scoville Scale in three days.. not advisable. Fun, but smelly - and more than a little uncomfortable.
  2. Only non-fishy fish. Although one of us (not me) is keen on all things nautical, my indulgence in les fruits de mers is limited to tuna (preferably tinned), cod, haddock, prawns and the like. The idea of eating mussels, oysters or baby squids sends all the wrong kinds of shivers down me timbers. If anything other than skill and knowledge was holding me back from Masterchef, it's this.
  3. Ingredients have to be available in West Wales. This is probably not as limiting as you might think, but it is a factor. I can't (without difficulty) get proper tortillas, or things like artichokes out of season. It's not a barrier, but it is a hurdle.
Right - with that in mind, my first sharing is a simple one. I bought two nice cod loins from the fishmonger. The place sells fish and flowers, which to me seems very odd. Best case, you'll get flowery-smelling fish. Worst (and more likely) case is that you get fishy-smelling flowers. Not sure how that works. Anyway... 

For one of the loins (I just like saying that word), I followed(ish) this recipe for the batter, courtesy of Emeril Lagasse via the Food Network.com site (http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/emeril-lagasse/fish-and-chips-recipe/index.html):

  • 1 (12-ounce) bottle of beer 
  • 2 large eggs
  • 3 cups flour, in all
  • 1 teaspoon baking powder
  • Salt and pepper
  • Essence, recipe follows
Now, when Emeril says 'Essence', he means his cajun spice mix that you're meant to have prepared earlier and have to hand. I had no Essence, so I just used season-all and cayenne pepper. Seemed to do the trick. As I was only making one piece of fish, I also just eyed the ingredients, trying to keep the ratios the same. It means I used a lot less of everything, except the beer, the 'extra' of which seemed to disappear rather quickly.

Chips were easy enough... a couple of good-sized reds peeled and put through the chipper. Rinsed, soaked in cold water for a few minutes and then drained thoroughly before being put into very hot oil. Salt immediately after removing from fat, even if you still have to cook the fish (like I did). 

A large helping of peas perked up with fresh mint from the garden and the meal was good to go.

Probably the best Fish and Chips I've had, so thank you Mr. Lagasse! The batter was crisp (very important) and didn't hold much of the grease from the fryer. Cod was firm, juicy and dee-lish.

Pictures next time, methinks, to help tell the tale. Suggestions for next week...?

No comments:

Post a Comment