Friday 23 July 2010

WTF, OMG and R U F'N SRIUS?

I'll admit it: I'm a snob when it comes to certain things. Bad teeth really get to me. And although I am guilty of the odd fashion faux pas now and again, I instantly judge people who wear track suits as a matter of course. Bad table manners, not saying 'please' and 'thank you', interrupting... all on the list of thing that make me go 'hmmm'. Is it fair? Nope. Am I being a superficial jerk when I do it? Probably. I'll tell you what though... nothing gets my goat quite as much as bad grammar.

Now, don't get me wrong. I LOL and BRB with the best of 'em. I'm all for the evolution of language. I'm a big fan of Stephen Fry, one of the most educated modern men I can think of, and even HE gets cross when people attack the use of slang and swearing... if language never changed, where would English be now? Exactly: it wouldn't be, period. So I'm all for evolution.


But I received this in an email today, and I'm wondering whether I'm out of touch, or whether this person needs to go back to school (skool?):

"Cheers seppo haha should haver but as the end to regular season just realised my error ;) look 4ward to seeing u all on sunday and gert put thru my pacers agen"

It took me a while, but I think what it should have said is this:

"Cheers, Seppo. Ha, ha. I should have put '...as the end of the regular season'. I just realised my error. I look forward to seeing you all on Sunday and to getting put through my paces again."

OK, I know. I get it: I'm OLD and this is the way kids speak these days. But, seriously? The only punctuation is the emoticon; the only capital letter is at the very beginning. Sure language can (should) change, but can't (shouldn't) it also remain coherent? Are we to lose commas, periods and vowels altogether?

Oh, I don't know. It's after nine. Maybe I just need to drink my Bovril and go to bed...

No comments:

Post a Comment