Tuesday 7 September 2010

Confessions of a Childhood Crush #1: Erin Gray


Like most hetero guys my age, I grew up with pretty predictable celebrity crushes:  2 of Charile's Angels, Justine Bateman, the tennis girl scratching her ass, Mindy, Weird Shapeshifter Lady from Space 1999, Batgirl, Wonder Woman, Mrs. Stemper (technically my kindergarten teacher but a celebrity to me) and, of course, gold-bikini Princess Leia. Guys who liked girls wouldn't be guys who liked girls if we didn't sucumb to at least one or two (or all) of the ever-present media's image of what sexy was. Of course, "sexy" changes... looking at some of the 'hot' women of my childhood makes me wonder whether anyone in the 70s had breasts, or hips or any curves at all.


I'm not going to over-analyse it. I'm just going to add her to 'The List': Erin Gray, AKA Colonel Wilma Deering from Buck Rogers of the 25th Century. Colonel Deering, with your skin-tight pre-lycra suits (the ONLY thing to be seen wearing in the future, apparently) and your ridiculously ill-fitting helmet, you made my transition from 9 to 10 so very easy. Sexier than all the Star Trek ladies combined, and with a bit of moxie to boot... that freeze-frame laugh at the end of every episode won me every time. You made Twiki bearable. You almost made me forget about Hawk and his silly feathair. Colonel Wilma Deering, thank you for making me look so forward to the future.

4 comments:

  1. "...you made my transition from 9 to 10 so very easy." :) For me it was The Bionic Woman and her gentle, yet tennis ball popping ways.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Did you watch any of the re-boot? Meant to have been pretty good, but dropped after only 5 or six episodes...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ah! This brings back so many achingly sweet memories from my youth! There was nothing quite like that spicy mix of guilt, frustration, and blissful fantasies! I feel a burning in my bosom...!

    I'd like to cast my vote to add Daisy Duke to the list!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Linda Lusardi - my brother had a GIANT poster of her in his room. Many a happy hour gazing at it...

    ReplyDelete