Friday 12 March 2010

LoC #35: Embrace Yestalgia



Yestalgia [yes-stal-juhnoun. A positive and healthy appreciation for past experiences.

I live in a wonderful part of the world. I don't have to lock my doors at night, I know both of my neighbours, and the police are respected, not feared (they don't even carry guns). The weather will never be tropical, but all in all, I feel pretty lucky to live where I do. Every once in a while, though, I get real pangs to be back in the Pacific Northwest, or even just on American soil. Here are five of the things that I miss most (in no particular order)…


1.    Mt. Rainer. When I show people pictures of where I come from, with The Mountain watching over us, most of them reply with, 'And you came here, WHY…?'. It's only when I show it to someone else that it hits me how majestic, how powerful that mountain is.

2.    Mongolian Beef from Tea Leaf II. I have even written them to ask them for their recipe. I can make it here, but not nearly as good as it is there. Me love it long time!

3.    Outdoor basketball. Where I went to college, there were no fewer than 29 outdoor basketball courts, and we played on them rain, shine, or finals. You could go alone, or with some friends, and either way you'd be playing a game in minutes. If you did happen to go alone, you were sure to add someone who was just walking by, looking for a game. Hours, days, weeks. Endless summers.





4.    Seasons. Traditionally, Wales has two seasons: Spring and Fall. It never gets too hot, it never gets too cold. There's never a drought, but it can go weeks without a break in the rain. When it's nice (like it has been this week), it's glorious. But I miss being really hot. I miss being tanned, and the contrast of an ice-cold Coke as it fizzles down my dry throat. Crazy as it seems, I miss dust.

5.    A common past. I was home over the summer for a 20-year high school reunion, and saw people I hadn't seen in decades. A lot of conversations started with 'do you remember when…', and, to be honest, until that moment I hadn't. But the memories were warm; they were lovely. They reminded me that I am FROM somewhere, and that my life is so much more than what it's become here in Wales. I have embraced Wales as my present and future, and everything pre 1996 seems an eternity ago. But when I'm home, or speaking with someone from home, I remember. A simpler time, a simpler me. Good times, hard times, times when I thought I'd die of a broken heart or die from laughter. I am thankful for those connections.

Is there a lesson here, other than 'take care to appreciate what you have ', or 'you don't' know what you got 'til it's gone'? Probably not, but those sayings are famous for a reason: they are true, and we'd all do well to remember them. Look around, look behind, look inside… be aware, and be grateful.

No comments:

Post a Comment