Wednesday 23 May 2012

TUnESDAY: Rumer Has It (Again)

If you remember way back when, I got excited about Rumer’s debut album, Seasons of My Soul. I still think ‘Slow’ is one of the most beautiful songs I’ve heard. It’s a song that can calm me, if only for four minutes at a time, no matter what else is going on in my life. I knew from that very first play I heard on the radio that the girl can sing. Subsequent appearances on Later with Jools Holland (back in 2011 and then again last week) have, to me, proven that I was right to think she’s awesome. Which, of course, makes me pretty badass too. Not ‘badass’ in a Chuck Norris kind of way, but badass in a musical Nostradamus kind of way. That’s me: 12th level black-belt in predicting upcoming cultural trends, and clocking Rumer two years ago was pretty much a roundhouse to your musical face. I’m the talent-finding equivalent of Patrick Swayze's Dalton and I’ve just defeated the future in nothing but dirty sweats and a bad haircut. Don't pretend not to know what I'm talking about. We all know that Road House is quite possibly the best misunderstood drifter, quasi-martial arts film of 1989 with a the tagline 'The dancing's over. Now it gets dirty.' I mean... COME ON!



So anyway, she’s back. Her latest album is called ‘Boys Don’t Cry’ and features 12 songs, comprising ‘a diverse collection of covers, paying tribute to some of her favourite 70s songs.’ The variety of the tracks is interesting, including songs from Leon Russell, Issac Hayes and Bob Marley. But, to be honest, she had me at ‘Hall and Oates.’

Wrap your ears around this, the lead track ‘PF Sloan’ – originally written and recorded by Jimmy Webb in 1970. If it doesn't chill you out, or at least make you smile, I'll eat my stonewashed jeans.


1 comment:

  1. Agreed on Slow. Not sure about this one yet - it just washed over me ... although maybe that is a good thing. Maybe you should start seasoning your jeans to make them taste better!

    ReplyDelete