Friday 4 November 2011

Things That Matter

I think that I, like most people (I'd imagine) have different reputations in different circles. To some, I'm incredibly logical and very organised. To others, I'm religiously spontaneous and dishevelled.  And although I may not be the same things to everyone, I can assure all of my acquaintances that some things DO matter to me consistently. Here is a  brief list of some of the less obvious (I think it goes without saying that my family and friends 'matter' a great deal. Well, it would have gone without saying, but I just said it didn't I?).


  1. I care that peanut butter goes on the bread first - then the jam. And not every sandwich needs butter. If there is some kind of spreadable dairy in the filling (especially when the name of the filling includes 'butter' itself), you don't need another layer of it on the bread.
  2. Manners matter, even to your closest friends and family. 'Please' and 'thank you' should be part of every   exchange of goods or services.
  3. Grammar matters, even if spelling can be fluid. I accept that 'text speak' is changing language, and that using it is acceptable in certain dialogues. But if you're taking the time to use vowels and punctuation marks, use them properly, please.
  4. It matters to me that the 'L' ear phone goes in my left ear, and the 'R' ear phone goes in my right ear. 
  5. Swearing does not matter, and it does not indicate a lack of creativity or vocabulary (whatever my uptight teenage self might have said). Some of the brightest, kindest, most creative people I know swear like sailors. And, let's be honest: sometimes 'darn' just doesn't cut it.
  6. Timekeeping matters. We live (predominately) in a world of fixed geography and predictable travel limitations. If you know that where you need to be is 10 minutes away, then leave 10 minutes before you need to be there. Be on time. If you know you're NOT going to be on time, call ahead. It matters.
  7. Dark Socks are the work of the devil. 
  8. Neckties are Dark Socks' suffocating evil twin.
  9. Accuracy is important. I've said this a million times already: I hate exaggeration. If your point is good enough to make, it can be made with an honest account of the facts.
  10. Listening is a skill, and it's one everyone should have. Don't ask me how I am, and then start to talk before I've finished my answer. Listen to what I have to say - I may surprise you. I promise to do the same.
Not exactly Baz Luhrmann 'Everybody's Free', but it'll do for now.



No comments:

Post a Comment