Tuesday 7 September 2010

TuNesday: Rumer

I like to think that I approach my music the same way I approach my diet: varied and adventurous, nothing too fishy and a lot of cheese. So when I first hear this next artist on Radio 2 a few weeks ago, I was sure that I was listening to another throw-back tune from my childhood. I couldn't remember it clearly, but it seemed to evoke a deeply-buried southern memory - like climbing to the top of a (surely haunted) barn and jumping into a pile of corn cobs. Yes, my early childhood really WAS that simple. And beautiful. And I think those are two words that  fit this song perfectly. With more than a touch of Karen Carpenter, Rumer's 'Slow' seems to cuddle up to me like a handmade quilt and lets me nestle in its embrace with the smells of autumn playing in the front yard. She's an odd pop star, having admitted in a recent interview for Radio 1 that she didn't know who many of the current chart artists were. Does that make her removed, perhaps a bit aloof? Maybe... but maybe it makes her a more honest artist, as well. And in a musical calendar that has too many X-Factors and '(your country here)'s Got Talents, I for one am extremely happy that someone can still make this kind of music, and that it can get out to people like me. Like I said: I loves me some cheese. Enjoy.

1 comment: